Great Gettin’ Up Morning
April 10, 2009
Reason to Believe
While we continue to think on the wonder of the incarnation of Jesus – God becoming a man, the God-Man, we also look to the other end of that marvelous life to find every reason to believe Him.
1. Prerequisite: The Stubborn Fact of Jesus’ death
1. The straight forward narrative of Jesus’ death
2. The replacement theory (another went to the cross instead of Jesus) will not stand the examination.
3. The swoon theory fails for the same reason.
4. The theory that the scene was influenced by drugs also fails
5. Jesus was dead! The soldiers saw to it; the witnesses believed it; the disciples went into a tail-spin of despair and hopelessness because “He was dead!”
6. Sympathetic followers removed his body, prepared and buried that body
2. The Amazing Fact of the Resurrection
1. Jesus prophesied His own resurrection
2. The stone was rolled away to let others in and see
3. There was no body
4. Yet the grave clothes were there
5. The soldiers were bribed to say (on pain of death) that they were asleep
6. The psychological transformation of the disciples could not be built on a falsehood.
7. A false rumor was spread about that the disciples stole the body
8. He was seen by many different people at various times (one time by over 500!) A little to difficult to blame this on hallucinogenic drugs.
9. The whole fabric of the disciples’ message was built on truth and could not be sustained by a foundation of lies.
3. The Value of the Resurrection
1. The resurrection proves that Jesus is indeed the Son of God, Rom. 1:3-4.
2. The resurrection is the bedrock foundation of the Church, Eph. 1:20-22.
3. The resurrection is the foundation for the authority given to Jesus, Mt. 28:18
4. It is related to the truth of victory over death, Rev. 1:17-18; Rom. 6:9
5. The resurrection gives us confidence in our justification, Rom. 4:25; 5:10; 8:34
6. Through the resurrection we have new birth into a living hope, 1 Pet. 1:3
7. It is the foundation of Christian victory, Rom. 6:10; Eph 2:4-10; Phil. 3:10; Col. 3:1-4
8. It provides confident assurance in our own bodily resurrection, Rom. 810-11
9. The resurrection is one of the foundation stones of our preaching, 1 Cor. 15:14
10. It is instrumental in our forgiveness, 1 Cor. 15:17
11. If Christ be not raised, your faith is vain, empty, 1. Cor. 15:17
12. If Christ be not raised, you are still in your sin, 1 Cor. 15:17
13. If Christ be not raised, those who have died have perished, 1 Cor. 15:18
14. It is the cornerstone of certainty for our whole faith, 1 Cor. 15:17